Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Day 3

Night of the 3rd Jan…
This morning I woke up and Dawn had already gone to nanny (upstairs). It was my goal to walk to Hofer and Kik to buy some more things on my list of things to get. I knew it was a long hike, and I was ready for it, but I forgot to take into account the copious amounts of snow, which had been cleared off the roads by special machines and onto the pavements! Seriously, it was piled in heaps about 4 foot high and so I had to walk most of the way on the road! I didn’t get run over, but I did realise by my fresh footprints that I was the only person silly enough to walk to Hofer. It was totally worth it though, even if they weren’t selling those Maoam sweets I had wanted to bring back.
I got back triumphant, and Dawn and I went to Tauernhof to see Christian. I got to see Martin again and we talked for a little while which was good. He’s such an awesome guy.
We then went out walking with Dawn to Billa and the craft shop where Ryan, Jimmy T and I got the material for our Jedi Knights costumes. We checked our mail in the Eagle’s nest, and this time I managed to hook my laptop into the system, enabling me to post the last three blogs, and then we pretty much chilled for most of the day at Dawn’s. This is the Living room of Dawn's appartment. Look how good she has it!
Tonight I went for another walk with God through the streets of Schladming. The snow is so beautiful. It’s truly magical at night. There are no people about and the snow isn’t so bright that it hurts your eyes because it’s reflecting the light. I realised how fortunate I was to be here and to have experienced what I have, what we all have. Even though I loved Spring School, I don’t think I appreciated Austria as much as I could have done. And I only really realised this after I had left. So I’ve been determined not to take this experience for granted, and not to care whether I look like a tourist or not, but to experience life here at it’s fullest. I love how I can come away from studying the bible at theological college and learn more about my relationship with God at night in a mountain town in mainland Europe. I’m enjoying life so much right now.
Oh, yah, I also rolled another snowball tonight. Here’s a picture of the two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

man i miss tauernhof so much... every place you mention i picture going to in my head.... i can't imagine schladming with a layer of two feet of snow... it would look amazing.... and the dachstein all covered with tons of snow... would be absolutely beautiful... you know that comment u made about going for walks with God.... i never learned so much from God as when i would go for walks with him.... i miss that the most about schladming going for my nightly walks.... i need to start doing that again.... anyways this comment is long enough... i know you will continue to have an amazin time... love ya

Anonymous said...

Man, I miss you guys! I'm glad you had a great visit. It looks like so much fun... Hi Dawn, I assume you'll be reading these comments. Looks like you have a great thing going there! How have you been? What's new? Email me sometime k?
Grace
grace.schienbein@gmail.com