Sunday, April 24, 2005

General Update 24Apr05





So, the last few days have been amazing. I have seen so many beautiful things, and the lectures have been awesome.
Hans Peter's lectures on Revelation were amazing and we have only got half way through them. One bit I found fascinating was hte parallels drwan from Abraham's offering of Isaac to the Lord and Jesus' crucifixion. Here is a copy and paste jobby from my notes.\//• Gen22: God told Abraham to take Isaac to Moriah (which is Temple Mount in Jerusalem) where there was already a city, because Melchizadek was ruler of Salem. So Abraham took Isaac outside the city to a place called Golgotha (where Jesus was crucified) and when Isaac asked where the lamb for sacrifice was, Abe said, ‘God will provide a lamb’). Other parallels, are that it was on the third day, in v4, that Abraham saw the place where God wanted him, i.e. when Jesus rose from the grave. Abraham carried the wood up the mountain for the sacrifice of his son, just as Jesus carried the cross up the same mountain for God’s only Son. Also, Abraham named the mountain “On this mountain it shall be seen” which is future tense, which was acting out the future prophecy.//
Anyways, so I've been on two awesome hikes in the last two days, and I have seen some beautiful scenery. On Friday, 5 of us lads went up the Planai which is this mountain close by and we were surrounded by snow-capped mountains and amazing colour. Then, yesterday, we hada school hike up this huge mountain, which was great because it was such a sunny day, and so warm, yet since we were so high up, there was so much snow/ice all around and we had loads of snowball fights in t-shirts and shorts. Then at the top, there was this level which had this lake which was half ice and half open water, and a bunch of us stripped and went for a swim in it. It was soo cold, and there was ice all around us as we swam. When we got out, it was so warm that we dried off soon enough. I have great photos, and great memories of my time in Austria already, and I have only been here one week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man daveo!!! i miss you so much, and it sounds like you are having such an amazing time, i wish i was there. i cant believe there are australians...lucky!! well, i hope you are well, and cant wait to talk to you again!!!

jengajen said...

hey buddy!
don't really have a clue who you are, but came across your blog really randomly while I was searching for photos of Capernwray -- you in Austria at the moment?? Do you know a crazy guy called Brent? He was in England too for winter school... if you know him and actually like him haha tell him that I, Jen, say "HI!" and "SUGOI!" (pronounced "su-goy")

anyways...
your blog is cool! I also have a blog, which isn't that interesting... it's just kinda something I do in my spare time when I'm bored, or sitting around at college waiting for lectures.
I'm going to Capernwray in October for 9 months, and I'm sooooo excited. Was it great? did you learn loads from it?

anyways -- enjoy! and God bless!

Jenny

° ÐãVeØ ° said...

Hey Jenny, I spoke to Brent and of course he remembers you. We actually share a room together here in Austria and we did for the first term in England too. He told me you were going to Capers in September. You'll absolutely love it. I'm glad I came to Austria for spring school though. I mean, everyone in England has come over from another country (mostly N.America) but for me and you, it's our country, so Austria is my 'England' and it is so beautiful here. You should definitely consider.
So yeah, I would say that even though I learnt heaps from the great lectures, I learnt more relationally just by living with people and having the chance to learn this in a Christian environment was really helpful.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Brent says hi!

Daveo