Monday, June 05, 2006

Pride and Passion

Work's been regular. It's been fine. Although today I'm going to ask my boss to get time off during the England matches. Really I should have planned this ages ago.
But aside from work, I'm frantically getting all the things I need for my visa application interview on the 26th June. Seriously you guys, could someone have a word and just tell them to let me in? Maybe?! Please pray for this whole visa thing to go smoothly, because I'm kinda concerned about how close I'm cutting it.

On a more important note... Is everybody excited for the World Cup?!!! Booyah!! Admittedly, USA have a tough group, but I think they'll get through. This paragraph is mainly for the guys, if you hadn't already noticed ...and the girls who like football (...Chelsea & Bethany). And yes I will be cheering for Ecuador. I work with a Polish girl who asked me if I will be supporting her country, to which I replied, "Not against Ecuador." But yeah, Schrecky, J, Jummy, Jistin, I was just thinking how strange it would be staring at a box in the corner of our living rooms, watching the exact same thing as each other.

I don't know if you know this, but there has never been anything in America's history to unite all people, nomatter what colour, religion or political views they hold. However, in England, there have been two things. The World Wars, and International football. Every shop in every town, every window in every wall, all you see are England flags. The passion and pride for our country's football surpasses all differences to unite all people. And you thought that England wasn't very patriotic compared to America?!! Ha!
...At least we know what we are cheering about! ...errrrm...you're not gonna let me into your country now, are you?
...Oh well, what the heck... COME ON ENGLAND!!!

9 comments:

mike said...

(sings loudly: ) "THERES ONLY ONE STEVIE GERRARD, ONE STEVIE GERRARD!! THERES ONLY ONE STEVIE GERRARD!"

C'mon England!!!!

Janice said...

there is only one gerrard.

now i wish i could watch it, my tv's dumb.

YEAH ENGLAND!!!

Béthany said...

oooooooh man i really am looking forward to all this. Ecuador should beat Costa Rica, at least...and beating Poland would be really really nice...

I'm cheering for England, too, and Brazil, of course (every south american's favourite)...if i had a TV, i'm sure i would be able to catch most of these games, since i have the mornings free. i wish i had friends, i would watch TV at their houses, as it is, I can only depend on my parents and people in the church...who are always gracious about unwanted guests, so thats ok. as long as people are gracious with me, i'll be able to concentrate on the football.

° ÐãVeØ ° said...

Thanks Leesh. That's generous.
And yes, anyone watching the England games, my man-to-watch is definitely Stevie Gerrard.

Jón Magnús said...

I've so far watched 2 of 3 games. I woke up 6 AM this morning to watch England beat Paraguay. Congratulations with that Daveo and to all of you who cheer with England.

PS. Marisa said the last paragraph was mean ;)

° ÐãVeØ ° said...

You're right, it was mean. But true. I wish there were more things that brought us together, like Jesus. And since there are no more world wars (which not all people would support anyway in this era), football is the only ongoing thing that works. This is why it is sooo important. In England, it is not just a sport.

Anonymous said...

Um I think it´s a bit of an overstatement to say that their has NEVER been anything to unite the U.S., sure it might not be the happiest of circumstances that united us, but last time I check Sept. 11 brought all of the US together, despite culture, religion, political views, it completely brought us together. So, sorry that it´s not for a sport, but we have been united...

° ÐãVeØ ° said...

oh, thas true. forgot about that.
I wasn't trying to have a go at America. Actually my point was to show how important football was in England.

Anonymous said...

no worries little Daveo...