Sunday, February 04, 2007

Disfunctional Nose Hair?

Today, I went out to church and felt cold. Let me tell thee, in England, if it gets to -5ºC , people are so miserably cold, they most probably won't go outside. However, this morning the temperature without wind chill was -5ºF. That's right F. There's a couple of things that F could stand for, but here it stands for Fahreinheit. This is -21ºC, and with wind chill it was -33ºC (-27ºF).
Now you have to understand that these temperatures are a new concept for me. I encounter new experiences everday, such as ice-cream sandwiches and hackysack and ranch dressing, but this morning I discovered a new phenomena.
Whilst walking outside with the wind blowing in my face, a peculiar thing happened to my nose. Every time I breathed in through it, a prickly sensation consumed my nostrils. Taken aback by this, I concluded that my nose hairs were reacting badly to the cold and had resolved to packing their bags and leaving. Fearing this mutiny, I stuck two thumbs up there (my own) and held the outside of my nose with my index fingers. It worked. Hurrah.
Tonight however, my roommate informed me that my nasal adventure was actually due to the moisture freezing in my nose when I breathed in. Amazing. Who would've thunk it.
P.S. How many of you tried my holding the nose technique whilst reading this post?

14 comments:

lyss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shinbone #4 said...

Sadly I didn't try it while reading... But I know well the bonding qualities of nose hair in extreme cold. Your nostrils freeze together momentarily making it almost impossible to breath. I am glad you have finally had this life experience! Now you are a man!

lyss said...

Heh...I definitly tried it...

° ÐãVeØ ° said...

Ohhh!!! So that's what makes you a man!
Woohoo! I'm so glad to have passed that threshhold!

Josh said...

I did not try... I'll take your word for it.

lyss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megs said...

i'm sick and thought it would be disasterous to stick anything up my nose!

lyss said...

come on now, i can't be the ONLY one who did it. someone's lying.

Anonymous said...

got you beat, -20 F without the windchill.

Anonymous said...

Haha yes it's true that frozen nose hair is a good judge of how freaking cold it must be, just be glad we don't live in Winnipeg. I'm coming down to Founder's Week on Friday night- perhaps I'll see you there.

mike said...

After hearing the temperatures that you are braving on a regular basis I felt ashamed that i have ever felt cold at -2C and as such have taken to walking to work in my boxer shorts as pennance for my prior weak efforts...

Allison said...

i totally did that. dont feel bad lyss.

° ÐãVeØ ° said...

So over the last few days it's gotten colder. Not quite to Austin's -20F, but still pretty bad.
Mike, I'd give anything for -2C. That would suit me just fine.
And Alyssa, a bunch of people at my school who read this said they stuck their thumbs up their noses. You're not alone there.

Anonymous said...

daveo, what is this I hear about you coming to sc for spring break? when is your spring break? (i live here too!)