Monday, January 15, 2007

Losing your memory...

So, I just got back from spending the weekend in Wheaton with Justin, and got to hang out with Pamela, Anna, Sarah H, Gisela and Caroline's sister Victoria Chick (who just started at Moody). However, I did not get to see Jimmy, which was pants.

Anyhow, this afternoon when I was at Justin's great-grandmother's place, she mentioned how she couldn't even remember what she ate yesterday, and Justin said he couldn't either but that this wasn't the most important thing to remember.
It was kind of a sweet moment, but it really got me thinking about what happens if my memory starts to fail me. Like Drew Barrymore in 50 First Dates. I decided that I'd probably leave messages to myself so I could remember stuff. I'd keep them in a book with really important things in it, to make my life great.
I would include stuff like, who not to say certain things to, because it was taboo and would offend them, but then I'd go ahead and say it anyway just to see people's reactions. Then I'd pretend to be really apologetic and put it down to my woeful memory. I'd write down a list of the funniest jokes in the world and read them, and they would be the same amount of funny every time. I'd keep my name in there, just in case I forgot it, and also how to pronounce it so that I don't embarrass myself horribly, like introducing myself as "Dahvio" or "Dave-O". Arrrgggghhh!! And I'd write down my shoe-size so that I don't accidentally wear someone else's shoes and then have them hate me, because I'd hate it if someone just walked off wearing my shoes and left me with theirs. That would suck.
But I once knew a guy who lost his memory due to some syndrome (I think Alzheimers or something) and he couldn't even remember who his wife was and he'd go up to people and ask if they knew who his wife was because he certainly didn't. That would be awful. I'd hate that. But the thing was, that this guy could still quote any Bible verse and knew every passage off the top of his head because he had drilled it into himself so deeply throughout his life that it never left him. I guess this is what they mean by the living Word of God.
Wow, I ended this post more seriously than I first intended. Kind of like an episode of Scrubs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAH!! i just left a message, and then it just disappeared!! I guess I wrote something like; Good old DaveO! looks like you'e having a blast over there! come to Norway, bring some other capers with you, and come and see me!! =)

oh, and happy new year, by the way!
hugs =)

Anonymous said...

hey daveo - strange moment of seeing my name all over your stories and knowing its not me! you mean - there's like more than one justin in this world!?! oh man
more ot the point i have bumped into loads of 'justins' int helast few days!! now im freaked out - ive lost my identity. bye

Anonymous said...

i think i'm going to go the tattoo route. cause then i'd be the cool old lady with tattoos.

mike said...

i think i may jus pretend i lost my memory... that way i never have to buy anyone a birthday present and always have a valid excuse for forgetting my (prospective/hypothetical/at this stage imaginary) wedding anniversary!

the only problem is how to still remember (in a non-obvious, non-cover blowing way) to remind everyone that my birthday was coming up...

Hmmmm... this, methinks, needs some serious thought!